22.12.08

That couple that always makes you uncomfortable.

So you know, I'm home for the holidays, watching the Packer game and what not. Yeah, family is from Wisconsin and proud of it. Fuck, at least our state voted blue. So as we're watching the game with our relatives from Chicago, who happen to be Chicago Bears fans, a slow, cold, creeping feeling starts growing into your chest. You don't know whether to laugh at their awkward antics or to just remain quiet. You are trying to decide if they're Sitcom funny or simply disfunctional and unhappy. Simple phrases by both of them suddenly take on greater importance, as every exchange is seemingly a struggle for superiority and last words. "I think I'm going to go make some coffee."
"But honey, coffee gives you liquid cancer, [Looks around for laughs, finds none] you know, the runs..." "Coffee DOES NOT give me the runs, that DOES NOT happen to me."
Interesting little exchanges as this one prove my point. It's a sort of sick competition between the two of them of who can be better, a bigger sports fan, a better person... Are these funny or normal interactions, I don't know, but they surely put me at a lack of comfort to the point that I must come and make a blog post out of it to escape them and let this out. Oh, and whenever either of them gets angry in front of their little girl, they shout in those faux swear words, the ones that barely sound different from the actual word.

No comments: